- Church Santa Maria delle Grazie Milan
The church of Santa Maria delle Grazie is one of the most beautiful Italian churches and typical of the late Gothic architecture of Milan.
It was built by the Dominicans 1463-1482.
In the years 1495-1498 Leonardo da Vinci painted the famous mural "The Last Supper" in the refectory of the monks.
Despite the destruction of the church by Anglo-American bombing in World War II, the valuable mural could be saved.
For the visit of the Last Supperand advance booking is necessary.
The Last Supper
Dominican Monastery and Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie
- Cloister of the Dominican monastery
of Santa Maria delle Grazie
The construction of the church of S. Maria delle Grazie and the Dominican monastery was on request of the faithful to the former capital of Pavia, to have a second Dominican Order in Milan. The Order was once located outside the city walls in the countryside, but within the circle of the Navigli, which served Milan as waterways. In a short construction period from 1463 to 1482, the main part of the church and convent were built in the late Gothic style.
Under the rule of Ludovico il Moro, work began on a large site.
Built in the late Gothic style the church was designed by the outstanding artist Bramante with the new style of the Renaissance.
Because at the same time some of the best architects and painters worked in Milan, including Leonardo da Vinci, who painted the Last Supper in the refectory of the Basilica of Santa Maria delle Grazie, it is assumed that the work of both artists strongly influenced each other.
- Renaissance church of Santa Maria delle Grazie
The shape of the church is strictly geometrical and differed in the Romanesque style.
Bramante designed a tribune under the dome of the church, which should serve as tombs for Ludovico il Moro and his wife, Beatrice d'Este. Giving birth to the third child of Beatrice d'Este, she died very young and was buried in a lateral apse of the church. Ludovico il Moro died in exile in France after the French had occupied Milan.
Today the tombs of the royal couple of Milan are to admire as marble statues in the monastery of Pavia.
Sacristy and Cloister
At the end of the nave on the left is a small cloister on the opposite side the sacristy is located.
The sacristy is more like a choir with its large dimensions. It is used to prepare the priests of the Holy Mass and houses offerings to the church.
- Sacristy with the exhibition of the Codex Atlanticus
of Leonardo da Vinci
Normally, the sacristy has been built towards the rising sun and directly to the church. For lack of space the sacristy of Santa Maria delle Grazie is directed northward.
- Access to the secret underground passage
On both sides of the sacristy there are fitted wardrobes, decorated with paintings.
If the visitor stands in the center of the sacristy the images appear as window into the landscape.
Especially by the work of Leonardo design elements of the Renaissance style have been incorporated in decoration of the sacristy.
Example is the ceiling painting, the endless knot, an invention of Leonardo da Vinci and example of the perfect geometric design. (Also seen in the Sala delle Asse of the Castello Sforzesco).
The secret of the sacristy was the secret subterranean passage connecting the church of Santa Maria delle Grazie with the Castello Sforzesco.
On the left side behind of one of the cabinet doors the secret access is hidden.
The Codex Atlanticus of Leonardo da Vinci
In the sacristy the original drawing in the Codex Atlanticus of Leonardo Vinci are exhibited there. The "Codice Atlantico" is the most important collection of drawings and descriptions of the inventions of Leonardo da Vinci. Every three months, the exhibition changes to one of the many topics that are discussed Leonardo da Vinci during his scientific life.
The Small Bramante Sacristy and their Secrets
- Small Bramante Sacristy in the
church Santa Maria delle Grazie
Since June 2006, after 15 months of reconstruction, for the first time can be visited the small sacristy, which is located between church and cloister.
esigned with precious materials, it also represents a Renaissance masterpiece.
Four Holy decorate the walls: on the south wall Domenico and Peter, and on the north wall Paul and San Peter Martire (whose tomb and his cracked cranium can be visited in the Cappella Portinari the Church of St. Eustorgio).
A mystery is the image of the Madonna, of which only a fragment of the upper part is visible on the plaster and has been carefully restored. Obviously, there is a portrait of the "Madonna with Child". The attitude of the Madonna and the painting style point to the school of Leonardo da Vinci.
Visits Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie
- Tram 20, 24;
- Bus 18, MM1 (CADORNA, CONCILIAZIONE)
- MM2 (CADORNA)
Santa Maria delle Grazie
Piazza Santa Maria delle Grazie, 2, 20123 Milan (View on the map)
- 7.00 to 12.00 a.m.
- 3.00 to 7.00 p.m.
- weekdays 7.30 a.m., 8.30 a.m., 9.30 a.m., 6.30 p.m.
- Sundays and holidays 8.00 a.m., 9.30 a.m., 10.30 a.m., 11.30 a.m., 6.30 p.m., 8.00 p.m.
Visits the Bramante Sacristy:
- weekdays 8.30 to 12.00 a.m. and 3.30 to 7.00 p.m.