- Facade and bell tower of the
The origins of the Cathedral of Monza date from the year 595, when the then Queen Teodelinda built a church near her palace, which was dedicated to San Giovanni Battista.
In 1300, under the rule of the Visconti, the church wude reconstructed. Particularly beautiful are the external facade of marble and frescoes inside the church, mainly dated from the 14th Century , but in which some paintings from antiquity have survived.
The cathedral is divided into 3 ships, which are separated by cylindrical and octagonal columns with capitelli in Romanesque style with fanciful animals.
The main altar is the work of Andrea Appiani.
The side chapels and the vestibules are completely painted with frescoes. The chapel of Teodolinda was painted by Zavattari.
- Paintings in the Cathedral Monza
In this chapel is preserved the crown Ferrea, a valuable jewelry of goldsmith's art of the late Roman period.
It is part of the guarded treasure that is kept in the Cathedral Museum (or Museum Serpero, called after the generous donors).
Basilica di San Giovanni Battista (View on the map)
Piazza Duomo, 20052 Monza